Top Stories Daily Listen Now
RawStory
RawStory

All posts tagged "iran"

Trump 'dumped' too much 'poison' into critical US alliance to save it: ex-GOP strategist

An ex-Republican strategist warned that a critical United States military alliance has already been so damaged by President Donald Trump that it's too late to save it.

"NATO's on the clock," Rick Wilson said in the latest episode of his podcast. "It's got three, two years left, tops. Even when Trump dies, even when he's gone, the poison he dumped into the system is so profound, I don't know how you reverse it."

Trump's most recent moves include withdrawing troops from Germany and Poland with little heads up to the U.S. allies. Wilson played a video of Trump trashing NATO because he was able to "blast the hell out of Iran" without their help.

"We've had some very bad allies in NATO," Trump is shown saying. "We spend trillions of dollars on NATO, and when we need them, which we never do, we didn't need them here either.

In the video, Trump also called the European-U.S. super alliance a "paper tiger" and said "the last thing I needed was NATO stepping in our way" with Iran.

The way Wilson saw it, Trump went to "our allies in the Gulf, we said, 'Hey, we're going to go do this war for Bibi [Netanyahu] and for Donald Trump's ego." Trump also went to war with Iran so that Defense Secretary "Pete Hegseth can get a war boner," Wilson added.

"Donald Trump has poured so much poison into so many parts of the global economy and the global military alliances that once protected us," Wilson said. "All those countries now are reassessing how they view our relationship."


Hundreds of diplomats fired by Trump in 'unprecedented' move amid global crisis: report

Hundreds of diplomats are being forced out of their jobs by the Trump administration despite ongoing crises around the world, according to a new report.

According to CNN, the State Department finalized the firing of nearly 250 foreign service officers via email on Friday.

"Your reduction in force separation will be effective today," the email read. "Thank you again for your service to the Department."

The reduction in forces also impacted staff that would have been able to "provide guidance on the war in Iran," former officials told CNN.

On top of that, "unprecedented numbers of people are choosing to leave" U.S. foreign services, David Kostelancik, a retired diplomat, told CNN.

"Roughly 2,000 foreign service officers left the State Department last year," CNN reported based on numbers from the American Foreign Service Association.

Another 100 diplomatic posts around the world in tense areas like the Middle East, Ukraine and Russia still lack a Senate-confirmed ambassador, CNN added.

"The most sensitive diplomatic negotiations, on fraught topics like ending the war in Iran and securing an end to the Ukraine conflict, are being led by business associates and family members of President Donald Trump," CNN reported. "Often without teams of experienced diplomats with regional expertise."

'That dog ain't gonna hunt': GOP strategist warns Jim Jordan's spin won't fly with voters

A Republican strategist doubted that Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) would be able to settle down voters upset with high gas prices with the latest GOP talking point.

After Jordan told CNN on Thursday night that gas prices don't matter as much as Iran's nuclear capabilities, Republican strategist Melik Abdul reacted to the clip by saying "that dog ain't gonna hunt."

Republicans "can continue to say that over and over again." Abdul warned that "how people feel is how they vote," and voters are more worried about the price at the gas pump.

"They're going to go to the polls, not on Iran. They're going to go to the polls on gas prices, food prices, and all of these other things," Abdul explained. "Republicans have to understand it doesn't matter what's happening in Iran. It doesn't matter what you're doing with DEI and suing all of these schools. People care about their pocketbooks."

The exchange comes amid mounting Republican anxiety over the political fallout from the Iran war, which has pushed average U.S. gas prices above $4.50 per gallon, up from under $3 before the conflict began in February. Trump campaigned in 2024 on bringing gas prices below $2 a gallon.

During that same interview, CNN's Kaitlan Collins reminded Jordan he had been "critical when gas was $3.07, when President Biden was in office" and asked, "If you thought that was bad, what is $4.53?"

Jordan replied that "gas prices were coming down until we had to deal with this situation" in Iran, before adding, "But you know, that's life, that's dealing with the world and the world we live in."

When Collins pressed him on Trump's 2024 campaign promise to bring gas prices under $2 a gallon, Jordan said, "Hopefully, we'll get there soon. I want — I want gas prices low, too. I mean, we all want gas prices low. Who doesn't, for goodness sake?"

Moments later, when Collins repeated his "that's life" line back to him, Jordan tried to walk it back, telling her, "Those are your words, not mine" — even though he had said exactly that less than a minute earlier.

Trump eyes Hail Mary to lock up GOP control in Senate: report

President Donald Trump has apparently directed Republicans to persuade a Democrat to leave his party and join the GOP, The New Republic reported on Wednesday.

Sen. John Fetterman (D-PA) — who has often sided with Republican lawmakers and been questioned by critics over his party loyalty — has reportedly become a target for the president. Fetterman was the only Democrat to vote against the latest war powers resolution on Wednesday and was the deciding vote in the seventh attempt to end Trump's military operation in Iran.

Trump has viewed Fetterman as someone who can potentially help secure Republican control in Congress and wants to convince the Democrat "to switch parties to help retain the GOP’s fragile majority in the Senate."

Fetterman has denied any plans to leave the Democratic Party and has said he would be a "s----- Republican." The president has called the centrist lawmaker his "favorite Democrat."

Iran ground invasion seems more likely as Trump keeps hunting for off-ramp: ex-negotiator

A veteran State Department negotiator predicted that as the Trump administration struggles to find an off-ramp out of the Iran war, a ground invasion seems more likely.

"The administration is frustrated," David Miller told CNN on Saturday, saying that Trump will likely try "to go back to Project Freedom with some variation," referring to the short-lived effort to escort ships through the Strait of Hormuz, where Iran has a blockade.

The difference with a new attempt at Project Freedom would be "the deployment of ground troops on one of those key islands" that are part of Iran, like Larak Island, Miller said. Such an invasion "would surprise me," he added.

"They're looking for a way to break out of this," Miller said. "But right now, I suspect the situation is going to get worse before it gets worse."

Miller made the comment as Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Special Envoy Steve Witkoff met with a Qatari mediator in Miami on Saturday to negotiate with Iran.

"It wouldn't surprise me if Iranians came back with a response that the administration doesn't like, or if they delay further," Miller said. "What's the alternative? Economic blockade and military strikes on both sides have created a situation where neither side is getting what they want."

Trump already 'bored' with his own  war and wants out: report

Trump is reportedly losing patience with his own war that he started in Iran and wants it to end as soon as possible, according to a new report.

According to a Friday article by The Atlantic, an outside advisor to Trump said that the president is "bored" with the war.

"Others believe he is frustrated at Iran's intransigence," the Atlantic reported. "Trump is reluctant to resume hostilities," aides and advisors told The Atlantic. One advisor told The Atlantic that Trump would like "to tamp down any military action ahead of his trip to Beijing next week."

According to The Atlantic, Trump is going to have to wait longer than that to get out of his mess in Iran because "a number of experts have forecast that Iran can withstand pressure from the blockade for months, not weeks." The Atlantic article mentioned a U.S. intelligence assessment for policymakers that suggested "Iran could make it at least three of four more months" with the Strait of Hormuz closed.

Trump has already tried to declare a win in Iran, but he's also struggled to uphold ceasefires or the short-lived attempt to escort ships through the backed-up Strait of Hormuz. Advisors and aides told The Atlantic that Trump "is convinced that he can sell any sort of agreement as a win," but as of Friday, "Washington is still waiting for Iran to respond to the latest offering."

Part of the problem for Trump is "the U.S. has largely exhausted its list of significant military targets," advisors said to The Atlantic, which added that "to continue to escalate, which is Trump's signature move, he'd have to threaten civilian targets."

On top of that, "American officials privately admit that, with Iran's leadership fractured, they're not sure with whom they are negotiating," according to The Atlantic.

A pair of outside advisors told The Atlantic that Trump sold the Iran war as "another Venezuela" that would wrap up quickly.

Ceasefire hangs by a thread as US and Iran trade fire in Strait of Hormuz

The United States and Iran exchanged fire on Thursday in the Strait of Hormuz, according to an Axios report.

A U.S. official confirmed the attack, saying the U.S. had conducted strikes on targets in the strait. It appeared to happen as the U.S. attempted to enforce the blockade.

The Iranian navy targeted three U.S. destroyers, according to Iranian state media. The country's military said the U.S. had targeted an oil tanker and another ship entering the vital trade channel.

"The U.S. official said the exchange did not constitute a resumption of the war, but the Iranian military described the U.S. strikes as a ceasefire violation and threatened retaliation. The extent of the strikes and resulting damage are unclear at this time," Axios reported.
The exchange happened as both countries were negotiating a one-page memo in an effort "to end hostilities and lay the groundwork for more detailed negotiations."

Marco Rubio MIA as he quietly remakes key agency into MAGA-first operation: columnist

Secretary of State Marco Rubio has gone missing from public view and has shifted his attention away from diplomacy amid "America's global collapse," an analyst pointed out on Tuesday.

Salon's Chauncey DeVega described how Rubio's focus appears to be on the State Department — and altering its previous emphasis on "cultural pluralism, secularism and inclusiveness in its public messaging and other communications" — and not on international peace negotiations, including the Iran war, or Ukraine and Russia war.

"He has not visited the Middle East since last October, nor has he played a direct role in diplomatic negotiations over Ukraine and Gaza," DeVega explained.

Instead, Rubio has been restructuring his "department as a tool of MAGA."

"While also attending to Trump’s needs, Rubio has been busy remaking the State Department in the MAGA image — an act that is undermining democracy at home and accelerating strategic failures abroad," DeVega wrote. "What the administration calls 'America First' is, in practice, white racial authoritarianism and white Christian nationalism that governs who and what is deemed to be in America’s vital interests."

Under Trump, the State Department has dropped its recognition of Islamic holidays or other non-Christian religious observations that it previously celebrated on social media. Now, Rubio has been pushing a MAGA agenda forward.

"Since Trump’s return to power, the United States has been repositioning itself as an explicitly Judeo-Christian nation — and government departments and agencies are following suit," DeVega wrote. "On Easter Sunday Rubio shared a video on social media in which he passionately described the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The department’s Instagram account has featured images of Christian crosses and references to 'Christ’s sacrifice.'"

Trump has reportedly asked Republican allies whether he should endorse a Rubio or Vice President JD Vance 2028 presidential nomination, with focus groups apparently favoring Rubio for the potential run.

"Many see him as a stabilizing force, as well as a more presentable and traditional representative for their 'America First' nationalism and so-called conservative values," DeVega wrote.

"Rubio sacrificed his values and the storied institutional legacy of the State Department itself to be in closer proximity to Donald Trump, a chaos agent — and America’s reputation and power are collapsing," DeVega added.

'Unicorn' ex-Trump official points to 'terrifying' classified info endangering us all

Katherine Thompson, a former senior Trump administration official at the Pentagon under Hegseth, is raising alarm bells about classified information that suggests the U.S. military faces far more serious supply challenges than the public has been told, particularly regarding critical munitions needed to counter threats from both Iran and China.

Appearing on MS NOW, Thompson was described by the host as a "unicorn"—a rare Trump insider willing to publicly discuss concerns within the administration about the ongoing Iran conflict and military readiness.

She said that, although people don't like to admit it, "we are subject to scarcity" when it comes to weaponry, especially as we have China "on the rise." The host chimed in that the idea was "terrifying," and Thompson agreed.

Thompson emphasized that critical information about U.S. military stockpiles remains hidden from public view. "A lot of this is behind the classified curtain," she stated, further noting that media reports have uncovered some of the issue.

When discussing the severity of potential stockpile depletion, Thompson herself said the reports would be worrying. "The numbers that they've put out publicly in these reports, if true, and if they reflect what's actually, you know, inside the building, I would certainly be concerned about our ability to continue to prosecute this campaign," let alone engage in future conflicts.

Her willingness to go on record as an administration insider—and the way the host characterized her appearance as a rare moment of candor from the Trump world—underscores how unusual it is for officials to publicly acknowledge military readiness challenges that remain classified at higher levels.

'Lunatic' Trump sparks frenzy by claiming Iran hasn't paid 'big enough price' for war

President Donald Trump's claim that Iran hasn't "paid a big enough price" for the war stirred doubt and ridicule, as people reacted to one of his recent Truth Social media posts.

"I will soon be reviewing the plan that Iran has just sent to us, but can’t imagine that it would be acceptable in that they have not yet paid a big enough price for what they have done to Humanity, and the World, over the last 47 years. Thank you for your attention to this matter!" Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Political analysts and observers reacted to the news on social media.

"Translation: Iran told Trump to get lost," journalist Nancy Levine Stearns suggested on X. "Americans will keep paying high prices for Trump's dumb war."

"What people aren't fully realizing yet is that Iran is sending the US their terms for the US surrender," Darren Staley wrote. "Iran has won. Trump is now deciding how much winning by them he can allow without looking like a pussy."

Writer Polly Sigh called Trump a "f------ lunatic" in response. "Gaslighting is America’s greatest pastime," chimed in legal analyst Maryam Jamshidi.

"Hang on, I thought you 'decimated them'?" David Smuts said, pointing out Trump's previous claims.

"I am just so tired of him interrupting my perfectly nice evening with his blithering on his stupid social media site," Barbara Hoffmann wrote.